Back to Article List
Home Senior Care Helps With Medication Management In Chicagoland, IL
Nov 8, 2018 by Katie Fielmann
Find out how home senior care can improve your daily life in Chicagoland, IL through medication management.
There are many reasons a senior may need help to remain free and independent while enjoying safe, high-quality lives in the comfort of their own home. One of the most critical of these reasons is medication management, especially for seniors who live alone. Not only does a senior's health depend on taking medications as prescribed, but the potential consequences for taking medications incorrectly
can be harmful and dangerous. Thankfully, Comfort Keepers’ home senior care can help. For example, care providers can:
- Ensure medications are taken according to instructions.
- Remind seniors to take medication on time and in the correct dosage.
- Read the labels on medication bottles.
- Open medication containers.
- Reorder medications before they run out.
- Pick up prescription medications from the pharmacy.
- Ensure medications are properly stored.
- Safely dispose of expired medications or those that are no longer prescribed.
In addition to these essential daily supports, Comfort Keepers’ home senior care suggests that seniors create and use a medication safety checklist. The checklist should contain information such as:
- The medications that are currently being taken, including prescription medications, non-prescription medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
- Why medications are being taken. Too often, more than one medication is prescribed for the same ailment, especially if the senior sees several different care providers. If a senior is not sure why they are taking a medication or feels one may be doubled up, check with their primary physician.
- The side effects of current medications. Seniors should know the common and major side effects of their medications. If side effects are noticed, do not be shy about contacting a physician, especially if they are related to a change in medication, change in dosage, or the addition of another medication.
- The signs of over-treatment. What happens when the dosage of a medication is too high or if an extra dose is taken? Knowing the signs and symptoms of over-treatment is especially important when the consequences are life-threatening, such as a change in consciousness, heart rhythm, breathing, etc.
For more information about medication safety checklists or to find out more about the many ways Comfort Keepers’ home senior care can keep your loved one safe and secure while they reside in the comfort and convenience of their own home, contact a care coordinator today.
Comfort Keepers of Chicagoland, IL serves the surrounding areas:
Lombard, Mount Prospect, Willowbrook, Addison, Downers Grove, Oak Park, Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Berkeley, Oak Brook, Bloomingdale, Carol Steam, Glendale Heights, Itasca, Villa Park, Bolingbrook, Woodridge, Lisle, Darien, Willow Springs, Brookfield, Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, La Grange, La Grange Park, Riverside, Western Springs, Westmont, River Grove, River Forest, Chicago and Elmwood Park.